Australian bat lyssavirus
Alternate name: ABLV
Fact sheet - Health conditions directory.
Australian bat lyssavirus (PDF, 281kB) - information for people who have found a sick or injured bat.
Public health management guidelines
- Notification criteria for pathology laboratories (PDF, 55kB)
- Communications (notifications procedure)
Attending medical practitioners/medical superintendents (or delegates)
- List of all Pathological, clinical and provisional diagnosis notifiable conditions
- List of Public Health Unit contacts
- Notifiable conditions report form for Queensland clinicians (PHA S70) (PDF, 48kB) - if faxing notification, follow-up by phone.
Enhanced surveillance for public health units
- Case report form (potential exposure) (PDF, 175kB) - used by public health units to collect and manage more detailed information for enhanced case surveillance.
- Flowchart (PDF, 60kB)
- quick reference chart for immediate management of potential exposures to Australian bat lyssavirus.
Resources for health professionals
- Australian immunisation handbook - clinical guidelines for health professionals on the safest and most effective use of vaccines in their practice.
- Guideline for the collection and transport of Category 3 (C3) bats (397kB) - outlines the agreed approach for the collection, euthanasia and transportation of Category 3 (C3) bats to Forensic and Scientific Services for testing.
- Specimen submission form (PDF, 43kB) - request for category 3 bats Australian bat lyssavirus testing.
- Bats and human health
– Queensland Health website which provides links to fact sheets and other